With polite professionalism, the Banking Relationship Specialist
said quietly, ‘I’ll just have to ask you one security question. What is the
name of your oldest best friend?’
Our meeting went on and finished.
This morning, I woke up thinking that the real name of my
oldest and best friend is Marilyn. For seventy-five years, Mom was always the
one who could listen carefully and then, in that quiet, diffident manner so
characteristic of her, she would offer a few pearls of wisdom.
As a teenager, I remember sharing with her about the mother
of a boyfriend who I thought was wonderful. The mother, according to the
boyfriend, was a nightmare in various ways. Mom looked at me and quietly said, ‘Just
remember, he is his mother’s son.’ I found out the hard way that she was right.
She always put herself after everyone else. She took the
smallest piece of pie. She wore the same old dress while buying, or probably
making, new ones for Judy and me. She didn’t return to the higher education she’d
had to forego during the war until Judy and I were independent enough to manage
if she were away in classes, or studying.
All with such good grace. With no thought of being the ‘sacrificial
martyr’. With love.
I can’t say enough how grateful I am for the blessing of
such a Mom, my oldest friend. Always in my corner. A gift from God to me, to the
world. She left her mark on all who had the good fortune to know her.
‘That smile,’ one of the care team said to me. ‘She had that
beautiful smile.’
Nobody is perfect, but she was pretty close to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment