Popular Posts

Sunday, 6 September 2026

Nothing Sanitised about His Cross

 

The rugged cross. One of our worship songs this morning talked of the rugged cross. As I sang, I was focused on a sanitised version of that rugged cross: geometrically aligned, proportionality perfect, lines straight and true.

We had been thinking about faith being not just cerebral, but an action as well. I had been focused on Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, fully man as well as fully divine, sweating blood as he prayed for there to be another way than the cross. But when he heard from his Dad, he aligned with the will of God and committed wholeheartedly to the action required to save us, and to demonstrate his faith.

He had to hang on a cross, an old rugged cross, probably more like a mis-shapen dead tree than a properly engineered cross. Rough, hurting his eviscerated back. Maybe thorny. Knobbly, perhaps with protrusions at various points which would have magnified the discomfort and pain. Maybe there were still some errant twigs poking out at various points, piercing him again if he shifted his weight.

A rugged cross.

There was nothing sanitised about the death of our Saviour. As I think of his sacrifice, I marvel again at what he surrendered to willingly, with love and compassion (‘forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing’), with faith in the Father who never left him nor forsook him nor let him down.

Tonight I ask again for more of the empowering Holy Spirit, so that I, too, can live in faith, faith in the truth of God my Saviour, which impels me to take steps, to open my mouth, to write words …

No comments:

Post a Comment