Popular Posts

Monday 8 July 2024

Call out the gold

 


On the window shelf in front of me towers the quirky fairytale castle Don purchased at a craft fair before I met him. It’s taken a toll of reckless neglect through the years. A few months ago, I used a kit for kitsugi, which basically contained a type of glue and some gold dust to mix into it, transforming all repairs into works of art.

As I took the picture this morning, sensing a message coming, I realised that if I included the entire castle in the frame, the glare of light from outside gave only a silhouette, obscuring the gold detail on the castle door and its lance-shaped lock. I had to focus lower down if I wanted the gold to show.

I’ve just been reading an article in a Christian magazine about a disgraced Christian leader. The article was shocking and yet ended on a note of mercy and grace to all those involved in the abuse and its enabling. Christ-like mercy and grace.

Jesus is building his church. Sometimes it resembles a wonderful fairy castle, especially when our focus is on the light of this world. We don’t see the brokenness and the flaws. But Jesus always sees them, and is always ready to repair the penitent sinner and retain her in the fabric of the church. His blood is the gold dust in the kitsugi kit. It’s his precious blood, mixed with the tears of the saints, which pieces together those bits of the church which have broken, those bits of the saints which have broken.

I am building my church, Jesus says, and the gates of hell will not overcome it. Lest we become despondent over our failures, Jesus encourages us to remember his love, his unconditional love, and his mercy and grace.

Peace to us all as we stagger forward, broken but held together because of Jesus’ love, his unconditional love. Glory to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment