Popular Posts

Thursday 4 July 2024

Entangled and poisonous

 

Turning back towards home and retracing our steps, Don slowed, explaining he was looking for the bottle in the undergrowth on the left of the road. It’s a cup, I corrected, and it’s on the right side. No, he demurred.

Sure enough, a few steps later, triumphantly he retrieved a plastic bottle from the tangle of weeds and brambles. I’d not even noticed it. (The cup was there, too, on the right side.)

A filthy bottle, it had probably lain there a long time. The grass, flowers and weeds had grown over it, concealing it from all but the sharpest eye.

Words and actions, some of them dirty and pernicious, surround us every day, in media and in person. Some can lie unnoticed, caught in the tangle of our minds, polluting our thoughts, unseen or ignored.

Holy Spirit, search my mind, my soul, my spirit, for those worthless, negative and sometimes poisonous words and deeds which seek to embed themselves in me today. Cleanse the thoughts of my heart, Lord; purify me today and make me more like you. I want to have the mind of Christ.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment