Popular Posts

Wednesday 23 September 2020

Glen Doll

 

We hiked into the beautifully-named Glen Doll yesterday to Corrie Fee, where the wind had a strength and a bite that drove us back. We walked unencumbered except for water and a light lunch, and enjoyed the wooded scenery, waterfalls, and quiet beauty.

I remember when Don and I hiked over the Pyrenees, intending to walk several days of the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. At one point, the trail was carved out of the steep hillside and we balanced along it, precariously, owing to the weight of the backpacks we bore. I feared that if I looked down at the wooded scenery, waterfalls, and quiet beauty, I would be in danger of rolling down the hillside towards the stream at the bottom.

As I carry burdens through life, I become wrinkled with anxiety and puckered with concern. The anxieties threaten to topple me over the edge. I’m sure I’ve written about this before, but reminding myself this morning that Jesus invites us to lay our burdens down at his cross, to throw all our cares onto his shoulders, and he will carry them as we do life together.

Once again, I do that. I have no desire to slip over into the ravine. I want to focus my eyes upwards and enjoy the walk, like I did yesterday.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment