Popular Posts

Friday 28 June 2024

What else lurks deep in the In tray?

 

The de-cluttering lurches back into gear occasionally, and I make a stab at sorting through things. So it was, the other night, that I dove deep into the ‘In’ tray in the study. Every few months I do go through it, tucking the important things into the filing cabinet and tossing out the junk. But I never go all the way to the bottom.

But to the bottom I went the other night. When I reached the strata with a few bits dated 2014, I came upon a wee post-it note with a Holiday Inn logo. Apparently, while staying at said hotel, I must have suddenly felt inspired to jot a few ideas for a future writing project. On the square bit of paper I’d scrawled these words:

The truth, and its implications, began to reveal itself to her like a slow dawn. But ugly, not beautiful. And as the light spread, she discerned life would never again be the same as it was in a free Scotland. Banks nationalised. Savings grabbed. Putin at the helm.

What?! Putin at the helm? What seemed a far-fetched nightmare a decade ago now seems scarily plausible.

In these days of shaking, the words are quietly disturbing. I am so grateful for God’s assurances to Moses and to Joshua: don’t be afraid, and don’t be discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. And Jesus’ advice when he was teaching, ‘So don’t worry about tomorrow. For tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.’

What else lurks in the next tray, I wonder?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment