Popular Posts

Friday 23 August 2024

Rain?

 

‘Aargh, we’re camping this weekend and the forecast is dire.’

‘Why do we live in Scotland?’

‘Raining here, too.’

So went the WhatsApp chat the other day. Then today, ‘Lovely sunny morning here!’

‘Yes, bright sunshine in Edinburgh today!’

‘I’m just back from walking with the neighbour, in the warm sunshine.’

They say the weather is the most talked-about topic in the UK. I think that could be true. But is that a bad thing?

Living where the default weather pattern is pretty similar from day to day, I barely noticed the weather as I grew up in southern California. It was usually wonderful, and I took that for granted. I can remember my shock when, age 19, I visited Europe for the first time. It was summer, yet in Amsterdam we froze, in Edinburgh we dodged the rain and it was only 55 degrees F: how could that be summer?

I love the heat, the sunshine, the warmth and languor of a summer’s day. But variation prevents complacency. It draws my eyes to the heavens – and I do love the drama of the Scottish skies. It keeps me from taking things for granted, and it also connects me more closely to the natural world outside my window.

Now the wind is rising and the clouds are swirling; more change.

Jesus says to his disciples to keep alert, to watch the signs in nature because we are part of it. We can see his hand in his creation.

I thank you, Lord, for keeping my attention.

But now, could you please overrule that forecast, and allow the campers a dry, happy experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment