Popular Posts

Friday 3 May 2013

Dreich



It’s a Scots word. Dreich. It means just how it sounds. Damp, grey, and pretty much yuk.

So much for my determination to stop complaining about the weather then. 

It’s funny though. Weather like this – not just cold but dreich – drains the colour from the day and somehow robs me of inspiration and zest. I’d like to give way, light the fire and put on the DVD of Downton Abbey. But I’ve got things on my To-Do list and can’t just abandon them.

Funny how you write a To-Do list and then spend most of your time doing other things. Like right now. I can’t find my flat sandals. It’s not like I’ve been wearing them all winter, but I hope to be wearing them soon, and where are they? 

It reminds me of the story Jesus told of the lost sheep – how the shepherd, though he still had 99 sheep, ensured their safety and then headed out to search for the one which was lost. He loved that sheep and wanted to find it. 

He came out and found me when I was lost. I will be eternally grateful for that.

Now I don’t have 99 pairs of shoes, nor do I love my flat sandals – but I quite like them and besides that, I need them and can’t afford to go shopping for another pair. 

Unlike a lost sheep, they won’t answer when I call, so I need to get looking again.

And now, before this gets any sillier, I will stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment