Popular Posts

Sunday 17 December 2017

Back on the Straight Chair



Straight chairs again. 

I was so careful not to slip on the ice, wearing those Trekkers and walking like an old lady – which I am not (yet). And I didn’t slip on the ice.

But then, last night I popped into the bathroom to wash out the bath between bathers. What did I do? I seem to have leant too far, scrubbed too hard, or prolonged the operation beyond what was necessary. Whatever I did, as soon as I stood up again, I felt it. The stiffness radiating through the lower back. Pulled muscles I think, which is preferable to a slipped disk, obviously. But still...

So a hot shower, a hot water bottle, a warming massage with Ben-Gay, and now moving cautiously, sitting carefully, popping paracetamol and hoping that this all passes in the blink or two of an eye.
Whatever the precautions, life can ambush us. Jesus said that in this life we would have problems, but not to lose heart because he has overcome the world. And that start of that amazing story is what we are all celebrating now. What a Lord we have. What a Saviour. 

Walking into the last week of Advent with my hand in the hand of Jesus, and my heart full of gratitude and my mouth full of praise.

When I’m not walking, though, I’ll be back on the straight chair, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment