Popular Posts

Wednesday 27 November 2019

Shotgun!


He took the corner wide and fast, perhaps distracted by the three vehicles behind him, certainly not focused on what might be coming in the other direction.

We were. We were coming in the other direction.

My neighbour and I were on our way to the pool, not anticipating an Aberdeenshire council highways maintenance truck to be careering round the corner, on the wrong side, at speed. The driver reacted just in time, pulling his big truck over towards the Mill while we took evasive action. I waved my arms at him in futility, and then we parted ways, carrying on with our journeys as if nothing had happened. As if a near-miss collision had never occurred.

It could have been different. A few seconds either way, and perhaps tragedy might not have been averted. As it was, Mary and I went swimming, and he went to work.

How many times has my life been preserved by a few milliseconds? Years ago, Mhairi skied down a slope in Andorra, oblivious that an avalanche was virtually following her. She only discovered the near-miss when she reached the bottom and was told that a café halfway down the hill had been buried in snow. It could have been her.

We are not always saved from tragic – difficult – situations; but whatever the outcome, we have a faithful God who is always with us, weeping when we weep, rejoicing when we rejoice.

I don’t need any other reason to be giving thanks as Thanksgiving is celebrated, though I have dozens of reasons to be thankful. But mainly I am thankful to the Lord who rides shotgun with me through life, whatever happens.

Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment