Popular Posts

Tuesday 20 September 2011

Random Ramblings on Relationship


Relationships define me.
I was just reflecting on that as I walked Dusty. She’s put a rhythm in my life which wouldn’t be there without my relationship with her. Not always a welcome rhythm, I do confess, but this morning the sky is gloriously blue and largely cloudless (though I’ve lived in Scotland long enough to know that the rising wind will carry something with it). The dying grass sways golden in the sunlight; the fields are sprinkled with straw bales strewn round the stubble, and peace prevails. After a morning of frying eggs for bed and breakfast guests, re-cooking jam which didn’t set yesterday, and making desserts for a dinner party tonight, I was ready for peace to prevail and allow me to gather my random thoughts.
And that’s what made me think about relationships. We have always been a busy household, with lots of people coming and going. For a loner like me, it doesn’t seem a good fit. I’m happy with my own company, never at a loss for things to do, and often frustrated that I don’t have more time to read or write. Perhaps one could conclude I don’t really need people.
But oh, I do. Without a hospitable husband frequently inviting folks round – without four ‘kids’ and all their friends and busyness – without a vibrant church family who pop in and out for Bible study, prayer, or tea, I would not be the woman I am today. I would be much more narrow-minded, much less forgiving, much more critical, much less loving.
Difficult relationships shave off the sharp corners in my personality, and easy relationships feed my soul. And those in between remind me none of us is perfect! Least of all me.
Relationships have enriched my life. And I am so grateful.  Even if it has given me less time to sit alone and write, when I do get the time, perhaps I might have something more valuable to actually say.

No comments:

Post a Comment