Popular Posts

Monday 18 June 2018

No Toxic Wallop


A candle with the fragrance of Persian Rose squats on the sideboard. I thought it might aid concentration as I worked on some writing, so I lit it. Nice smell. I got to work, but as the hours ticked by I realised I had a throbbing tightness in my temples. I’d already taken a pain killer for that persistent back problem, so wondered why the headache. I blew out the candle and the headache eased.

Sometimes we choose artificial soothers, thinking they will give us peace, joy, or inspiration. In reality, though, they can carry a pernicious and even toxic wallop.

God invites us to lean in to him. The more we depend on him for our inspiration and guidance, the more we realise he really is the source of all peace and joy. And he never gives me a headache.


No comments:

Post a Comment