Popular Posts

Friday 5 July 2019

Death by a Thousand Cuts


Death by a thousand cuts. A form of torture and execution used in China until the beginning of the twentieth century. (Thanks, Google…)

We are all here for a purpose. God has created us to do certain things, to be certain people, to be conduits for his light and life in this dark and dying world.

I think it is possible to miss our purpose because of a focus on the thousand cuts. I am walking my mom home. The important part of the walk is not what pieces of furniture she can take forward into the smaller place, nor even the pain of letting go of vestiges of a long life. I need to resist stressing about the insurance, what it will cover and what it won’t. I need to let go of the anxiety of anticipating her distress, and focus on the real future. I don’t want to miss the gift of these moments with Mom, the blessing of her long life. I want to live the adventure God has called me to live, with grace and faith and love.

Jesus died a death of a thousand cuts, but he never lost his focus on his Father and – incredibly – on us. He didn’t let the small cuts distract him from his main purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment