Popular Posts

Thursday 4 July 2019

Happy 4th of July!


Red, white and blue. The 4th of July. Today (despite the Scottish ‘mist’) I celebrated the Glorious 4th with my sisters in Bible study. Despite the brutality, injustices, and other signs of moral failure we read of daily, I choose to celebrate a nation born to give the religiously oppressed the freedom to worship as they wished. I choose to celebrate a nation whose open doors were symbolised by the welcoming heft of the Statue of Liberty, her arm held high with the flame of freedom. I choose to celebrate the idea of a country my dear dad laid his life on the line for, fighting on the beaches of Saipan. I choose to celebrate the country I thought I knew, the country where the citizens wore the white hats. (vintage cowboy movies…)

God looks at me, and despite my critical thoughts, narrow-mindedness and other signs of moral failure, he chooses to love me. Even, dare I say, celebrate me.

We’ve all got a long way to go. But God is faithful. He is in it for the long haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment