Popular Posts

Monday 14 October 2019

I lift my eyes


The dampness clamped right down to the ground. A watery sun suggested itself beyond the mist, hints of better things to come.

Meanwhile, we shivered as we walked, admiring the beauty of spider webs stretching between spiny thorns on the gorse lining the road. Starlings lined up on the overhead wires or swooped in synchronised exactitude above the harvested fields. Cows occasionally broke the stillness with their autumnal braying. What’s that all about?

Beneath our feet, leaves mouldered in soggy piles or shrivelled in crispy isolation. Pine cones brought down by Saturday’s wind sprinkled across the tarmac.

The nights are drawing in. A light frost shimmered on the grass yesterday morning. Autumn is here.

When engaged in unpleasant tasks, I find it so helpful to focus on the glories of this beautiful world God has given us to live in. I am so grateful to live in peace. So grateful to have friendly neighbours. So grateful for loving family, the NHS, good health, abundant food, flowers in a vase in front of me.

I lift my eyes to the hills. Where does my help come from? My help is in the name of the Lord, who has made heaven and earth. Praise him.

No comments:

Post a Comment