Popular Posts

Monday 1 November 2021

Perfect Melon

 


We bought four tomato plants last spring from a garden centre. I planted them carefully in compost purchased at the same time. We watered and fed the plants, harvested a rather mediocre crop of tomatoes, and when it looked as if the plants were finished, as I wrote a few weeks ago, I prepared to move them out of the conservatory into the cold greenhouse.

Then I found a vine, which had planted itself in one of the tomato pots, and grown and flowered and even produced a small cantaloupe melon.

Last night we harvested that melon. I maybe should have cut it a little sooner, but it was juicy, flavoursome and sweet.

While we had been focused on the tomatoes we had planted, God looked after the one melon seed that somehow got into the pot, too.

What a reminder to me that while I am focused on things I might do or say, thinking they might produce fruit for the Kingdom, God is doing his own thing right alongside me. If I’d noticed the melon sooner, perhaps I could have fed or watered it more diligently and it would have been even better.

Or maybe not. I love knowing that even in spite of my ineptitudes, God is able to come alongside and produce fruit.

I am focused on COP26, praying for breakthrough. While I look for that, though, I can be sure that God is working alongside, largely unseen, producing fruit I don’t plant and don’t anticipate but somehow have a hand in. All glory to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment