Popular Posts

Wednesday 9 October 2024

Murky Twilight but the Dawn is Coming

 

After a walk along the beach, I sank onto a bench and just sat and stared. Under a heavily clouded / foggy sky, the ocean reflected shades of grey. The crashing surf pounded into white foam where it met the fine sand. A father and his wee girl capered on the beach: their laughter echoed back to me, a lovely balm.

A ghostly sun tried valiantly to break through the clouds, without success.

I sat on and stared as a cohort of pelicans, that most prehistoric of looking birds, swooped low over the waves. I’ve yet to see one dive and catch its dinner, but they are on the lookout for sure.

Before my walk, I’d spent several hours sitting with Mom. Such a blessing for us both. We could feel Jesus near, and she even said her goodbyes as she said how excited she was for heaven, and that we will be together there forever, with everyone else who has gone before. Then she’d pursed her lips and we kissed goodbye. She slept – and woke up a little later, chatting and strong still.

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. Jesus shines in the murky twilight of life, and one day – sooner or later – he will light Mom up and embrace her into the kingdom. I just hope it’s when I’m sitting with her.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment