Popular Posts

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Bare brown branches

Bare brown branches, contorted, stretching upwards into the misty white sky, overlaid by a soft covering of white powdery snow. Twisted and exposed to the onslaught of winter; breath-takingly beautiful. Inspiring worship and awe.


I’ve just spent two hours with a beautiful, inspiring friend of mine who I see too rarely. She has suffered with rheumatoid arthritis for over twenty years without respite. One after another of her joints has seized up, disintegrated, been operated on or injected with steroids. Now her neck and a shoulder are collapsing, a knee and a foot need surgery. 

In spite of her own daily challenges, she has her octogenarian mother living with her – a mother whose focus is all on herself. 

Yet Jenny’s smile is radiant. Her laugh is genuine. I come away from being with her in awe of her resilience and generous spirit.

Walking Dusty in this amazing winter wonderland makes me think of Jenny, and praise to Jesus rises within me. There is something profoundly beautiful in the suffering. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, but the quiet maturity of my friend who has learned patience and the secret to being content in all circumstances is awesome. 

To God be the glory, and now, may his mercy bring a healing springtime to my dear friend’s beleaguered body. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment