Popular Posts

Wednesday 2 January 2013

Fantastic Fireballs and Fireworks!



OK, I know the origin of the fireball ceremony is pagan, but I kind of like the symbolism of submerging the grot from last year into the harbour, and starting into the new year without any baggage. And I know that isn’t the thinking behind the fireballs, which have something to do with scaring off demons. But we all take what we want from ceremonies and traditions.

The fireballs were pretty impressive on Hogmanay, and there was something special about being in a crowd of hopeful humans looking into the new year together. It was a sober but friendly crowd, enjoying the camaraderie of being in close proximity with strangers all there to view something rather extraordinary. 

After swinging these great balls of fire over their heads while walking to the square and back to the harbour, the thirty or so participants then headed for the sandy beach of the harbour. There they wound up, literally – with various degrees of energy and power – and flung the flaming torches into the waters of the harbour, where they sizzled and fizzled and died.

A full moon shone down on the lightly lapping waters of the North Sea, twinkling and dancing on the waves. The air was cold but not unbearable. And then there were the fireworks, launched from the cliffs above Stonehaven. Together the crowd oohed and aahhed and generally expressed their joy or disappointment as successive salvoes of coloured explosives broke overhead and twinkled their way to earth.

And so on into 2013. Prayerfully, I am launching my own fireballs from last year at the foot of the cross of Jesus, and leaving them there for him to deal with – be it fizzle or forgive or bear the weight for me. 

I am grateful to have such a Saviour as I head into another year, full of many unknowns, many of which lurk threateningly on the sidelines of my mind. I pray that you and I may both be able to leave the grot with Jesus and move on, unencumbered, into 2013.

God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment