Popular Posts

Wednesday 16 January 2013

Stunning



I’m sorry to keep harping on about this, but really, the winter landscape right now is breath-taking. We don’t very often get more than the odd day where the air is still and clear, the sun is out, the temp is well below freezing and the snow blankets field and forest, houses and dykes.

Today is a perfect winter day. I never really thought about there being such a thing. Now a perfect summer day is more my scene, but today was the cold-weather equivalent. Thank you, dear Lord, for eyes to see it and a heart to appreciate the gift it is. 

Again it draws my thoughts to human equivalents. I learned last night of the death of a dear friend in her 90’s, whose latter years looked like this perfect winter’s day. 

Pared down to skeletal frame, thin grey hair drawn back unattractively in a bun, yet her eyes continued to sparkle with love for Jesus. She shared with me for an hour recently about the revival in Stornoway in the 1950’s. It was a gift to listen to her, treasured moments I’ll always cherish.

Today she’s home with her Lord. But her going to him was like a perfect winter’s day – austerity overlaid with a soft covering of faith and love. The winter of her life was just stunning.

Thank you, Lord, for the gift of knowing Nan.

No comments:

Post a Comment