Popular Posts

Friday 8 March 2013

Blond curls in the sunshine



Sometimes when I’m praying, I close my eyes and there is an immediate and unexpected picture revealed in my mind. Today, a rather grey and grisly one here at Barehillock, I saw the upturned face of a 2-year-old child, blond curls shining in the hot sunshine beaming down on a typical American back porch.

I knew it was my sister, though I didn’t really know her in any sentient way when she was 2 as I had just been born. I knew her – was I seeing the memory of a forgotten picture from a photo album of my parents’? – though I can’t say there was instant facial recognition. Just a deep inner sense that I knew. This was Judy. 

She was laughing and playful, full of fun and life. 

Full of life. Judy passed away 25 years ago, when she was still young. Too young. This picture I saw this morning was a gift, a reminder that life does not cease when the body dies. Praise God for that. She is still laughing, full of fun, somewhere else in this vast universe, or as close as my breath. Who knows. But the promise is a promise. Life goes on. It just keeps getting better.

With that awesome promise encouraging me, I will press on with the tasks at hand, still missing her like crazy, but knowing, deep down, that separation isn’t forever.

Life is.

No comments:

Post a Comment