Popular Posts

Monday 15 July 2013

Drought?



I can’t remember the last time it rained. 
 
That is a rare sentence to utter in Scotland.

The paths which Dusty and I tread, usually shod in wellies because of the mud, are dry and cracked. I can walk in trainers again. Never sandals – there are ticks in that grass, deposited by the lovely deer which roam free hereabouts. The deer are lovely; the ticks are not.

The postie mentioned the other day that the weeding was easy in his garden right now because they’re just not growing. I’d not noticed – we have a pretty big garden and there are always weeds pretty much everywhere. The wild look. Partially tamed; mostly wild. 

Anyway, then I did notice, that not only are the weeds looking stunted, so are the carrots. And peas. And beans. 

Everything needs a drink.

So, I guess the writer of Ecclesiastes should have added another line to his famously poetic to-do list.
...a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot...

Here he should have inserted “ ... a time to water and a time to refrain from watering ...”

The message of Ecclesiastes is balance, and wisdom to discern what time it is. 

I don’t need God to tell me to water my flowers and veggies. But maybe, on this occasion, I needed the postie.

That’s another thing I love about this world. We were created to depend on God; we were also created to live in community and help one another. 

Most of the rest of the Bible tells us how to try to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment