Popular Posts

Thursday 18 July 2013

High Pressure


Strikes me as odd that a high pressure yields clear blue skies and sunshine, whereas a low pressure ushers in the storms and rain.

Odd when compared to what high pressure does to us humans. Most of us struggle when under stress, which is another word for high pressure. It feels more like storms and turbulence than settled sunshine. 

When the pressure is off, we relax as if under clear blue skies. The storms recede.

I’m out there walking, sunshine or storms, because the dog craves the stimulation and the exercise, (although she seems to go to ground when the temps rise, but who wouldn’t, wearing a heavy black fur coat as she is?) High pressure or low, I’m out there walking through it.

With Jesus as my constant companion, I can walk sedately through whatever the world wants to throw at me in terms of pressure. That’s my aim. To keep Jesus as my constant companion, to allow him to transform me into the person he created me to be, to keep focused and alert while anchored to a bedrock of perfect peace. 

A person whose mind is focused on God will be kept by God in perfect peace. It’s a promise given in the Bible. So what is perfect peace?

It’s a peace that is not tethered to circumstances. It’s a deep sense of calm despite upset, disappointment, or unwelcome news. It’s even – dare I say it? – a joy in the assurance that it’ll all come right in the end.

That’s faith. That’s trust. And it’s only possible if the God in whom I put my trust is faithful, and trustworthy, and keeps his promises.

He does. I know that because he tells me so. I also know that because I have experienced it.

So whatever today holds, sunshine or showers or indeed both, I am determined to remain focused on Jesus, so that I can rest in his perfect peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment