Popular Posts

Saturday 21 June 2014

Time for refreshment and rest



Even God needed a time for refreshment and rest. Exodus makes the point that God took a day off on Sunday and did no work, and felt refreshed as a result.

In our 24/7 world, it is hard to be disciplined enough to take a day off from all work. I find it difficult – often find myself dealing with laundry or B&B issues on a Sunday night, or working outside in the garden. And of course there is the ongoing kitchen work which never ends.

I do remember when I first moved to Scotland, aeons ago, some very devout people cooked their Sunday lunches on Saturday so that they had relatively little work on the Sunday. Nobody hung laundry unless they didn’t mind the critical looks of all the neighbours. It was a little too legalistic for my liking, but the spirit of it was right.

We’ve hosted so many lovely people for dinner over the last week. Now I am ready to hunker down with the Saturday crossword and a good coffee, (and a lovely husband), and take a day of rest.

Sounds perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment