Popular Posts

Thursday 12 June 2014

Windmills of the Soul



After decrying the proposed erection of this one wind turbine a mile from here, I walked down the drive this morning, lifted my eyes to the hills across the valley and for the first time noticed a column of the things marching up the hill on the horizon!

I knew they were constructing a full blown (excuse the pun) wind farm over there, but I guess I hadn’t appreciated that these turbines would now be silhouetted forever against the skyline in that direction.

Well, I can’t hear them and we’re certainly out of the flicker zone for them, and I don’t think there are many houses over there. But it just shows how the landscape of our lives can change incrementally and we almost don’t notice it until it’s a fait accompli.

The parallel is obvious. The inner landscape of our lives can also change slowly, transforming our personalities and our values bit by bit. It’s only when we look back later, we realize we have changed almost beyond recognition.

This can be good. The Bible challenges us to transform our thinking because we have the mind of Christ, to transform our behaviour by the power of the Holy Spirit, to transform our goals from amassing treasure in this life to putting aside a bit of ‘treasure’ in the next. 

At a school reunion years ago, a former boyfriend with whom I’d gone out for a few years during high school, didn’t even recognize me. It was my appearance he didn’t recognize (he looked the same except a bit fatter and bald...) but I wonder, if we’d spent more time talking, if he’d have had trouble recognizing my personality and my goals. 

Today I plan to continue to work on transforming my inner landscape to one that conforms to the values of Jesus. I don’t want any man-made windmills creating havoc within me!

No comments:

Post a Comment