Popular Posts

Thursday 7 August 2014

Giants



Following on from my thoughts yesterday on courage and God making me brave, I’ve been thinking about how often in the Bible God encourages us not to be afraid but to put our faith in him. 

I’ve just read the story of the Israelites who let their fears run away with them when they were told about giants living in the promised land. Rather than believing God and trusting him to take care of them, they got angry and wailed and even wished they were back in slavery rather than being in the position they were in where they saw giants looming ahead.

Giants rise up on the horizons in all of our lives from time to time, and if we let our fear get hold then we can be paralysed in our current position, alter our route to go around them, or even turn back. 

I believe God is well able to keep me, and so I need to act on that. Whenever fears rise and my heart pounds, I need to put my faith in him and keep going on the same path. 

We get to do the children’s address in church on Sunday and we’ve got a puppet show planned, and that always gives me a wee frisson of fear. What if the logistics don’t work out? What if the point isn’t clear to the kids? What if we get into trouble for not adhering strictly to the text? What if ...

Be bold. Be strong. For the Lord your God is with you. I know this is a pretty pansy giant in comparison with other giants, but it could make me go back and just tell the story in the usual way. 

But no, I will trust in God and step out, puppets on hands and silly voices at the ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment