Popular Posts

Tuesday 18 September 2018

Your own song to sing


I took cello lessons for 10 years, most of those years with Glaswegian Mr MacKenzie, who had jumped off a cruise ship in Long Beach and put his roots down there. I think he was a great teacher, though his soft Glasgow accent rendered much of his instruction incomprehensible! I always played with sheet music, though, and as I grow older I have an inner urge to play with my soul instead, but I don’t quite know how.

So today I have tried accompanying various songs on YouTube, feeling my way through what might work, trying to ‘sing’ to God from my heart rather than from the written page. Sometimes it was cringingly wrong, but other times I felt I was on the edge of letting go and making my own sound. Not sure if my confidence is going to take me off the written page on Sunday, but I hope to try.

It’s easier to blend in and play what is written on the page. But God invites us to sing to him a new song. He wants us to sing from our hearts. Not just on Sunday in a music group, but every day, in every way. We don’t have to follow the crowd. We each have our own song to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment