Popular Posts

Saturday 22 September 2018

What's Happening?


What’s happening?

I infrequently open my Twitter page but today when I did, what struck me was the question, ‘What’s happening?’ It made me smile, remembering the story I heard recently of our wee granddaughter going through a water park in California and as water sprayed from surprising directions, she reportedly kept shouting, ‘What’s happening?’

The disciples must have wondered that in those final days of Jesus’ life on earth.  Things were coming at them from surprising, and predictable, directions, and the growing sense of unease must have been alarming. I’m sure many of them asked one another, and probably Jesus, ‘What’s happening?’

As I wrote that, I remembered the song from Jesus Christ Superstar, ‘What’s the buzz, tell me what’s happening’. I’m not the first to recognise that the disciples would have been perplexed and unsure.
How often in life, though, we don’t recognise what was happening until it’s over. As we look back, we discern patterns and clues which we missed as we walked through our days.

In the confusion of our daily lives, it is so encouraging to know that Jesus is with us, that he goes before us and behind us, that he weeps and laughs with us, that he wraps his arms round us and always cares for us. It’s incredible, when you think of all the people that ever lived, and that are alive now, he knew/knows each one, and he knows what's happening.

We can trust our uncertain today and future to the God who has our back.

No comments:

Post a Comment