Popular Posts

Sunday 17 March 2019

Legacy

Nearly fifty years ago, I lounged on the cool green grass in the shade of a tree, listening to the carillon concert and realising that for the first time in my life, my parents weren't waiting for me to phone and say where I was, or show up for dinner. I had just moved into a dorm room at UCR, and knew nobody. It was heady and freeing, as I took a tentative step towards adulthood.

Yesterday afternoon Mhairi and I lounged on the cool green grass in the shade of a tree. The carillon was silent as students in finals week rushed towards the library.

I've not visited the campus since just before my sister died in 1986. It has grown. New lecture halls and classrooms. A proliferation of eating places. A gym and sports facilities. A botanic garden. Parking lots! When I was in college, few students owned a car. We took the bus.

I remembered the young girl at the beginning of her adult life. I thought of those I knew. Of the demonstration against Governor Reagan, who had cut funding for the university because of student protests against the Vietnam war. Of the seriousness of those days, right after the big political assassinations of the 60s. Of the young men who studied hard so as not to flunk out and be immediately drafted and sent to fight.

We still live in serious times. May this generation of students do better than we did. May they be wise and godly. May they be humble and use their brains to help others and to make this world a more equitable, peaceful place. May God bless this younger generation, who are inheriting the awful mess we are leaving them. And may God forgive us, and give us the strength and wisdom to support the next generation in whatever way we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment