Popular Posts

Friday 19 August 2022

A tumble and tangle of vines

 

A tumble and tangle of vines creep round the conservatory window ledge, sprouting from numerous pots. Most hold cantaloupe, and I am delighted to see a few of these tiny, perfect melons forming. One pot holds three cucumber plants.

We’ve enjoyed two cucumbers so far, but yesterday, as I took a paintbrush to the flowers in case they needed help with pollination, I was concluding that it was a disappointing harvest. Then, as I stood and stared, I suddenly spied there, partially concealed by a geranium, a fully formed cucumber.

What delight! I got Flick and Greg in to try to see it, and they spotted it much quicker than I had.

The fruit of the Spirit – love, joy, patience, peace, kindness, virtue, faith, gentleness and strength of spirit – grows like that, I think. Our lives – at least mine – can be a tangled mess, and it can be discouraging when a harsh word leaps from my lips or faith falters, but the promise of God is that he is the gardener, working in each of us like a bespoke designer, nurturing these fruits of the Spirit to feed an increasingly hungry world.

One of the challenges of church should be to encourage one another as we see those fruits growing. It can be hard to see growth in ourselves.

May I be quick to encourage and slow to be disappointed. And despite the outward mess of life, may I trust in the divine gardener who knows exactly what he is doing.

Unlike me.

No comments:

Post a Comment