Popular Posts

Friday 12 August 2022

Badgers!

 

The end of a rare summer’s day treat here (84F!), and I went roaming in the gloaming through the devastated wood beside us. As I strolled down the lane cleared for logging lorries, there was a sudden kerfuffle in the bushes at the side of the track. I paused, expecting to see a deer emerge and lope away into the field.

To my surprise, out waddled, with effort and at speed for such an ungainly creature, a large badger. He didn’t glance my way but hustled towards what our family call the ‘Forest of Endor’, which is still standing despite Storm Arwen. I watched with delight as this heavy, cumbersome animal swished its bushy tail, which appeared more golden than black or white, its short legs rushing along.

Before the loggers came in to remove the trees felled by the storm, as well as the rest of that surrounding wood, there had been a badger sett in one corner. Perhaps this was a refugee badger from the devastation, seeking shelter and a new home.

Our world is one of millions of displaced people suffering terrible deprivations and trying to recover from the trauma they have witnessed and survived. Seeing the badger reminded me of the millions of animals under threat from our encroaching ‘civilisations’.

Jesus said that not even a bird falls from the sky without his knowing about it. He loves us, remarkably considering the evil we do, and he loves his creation and the many and varied creatures.

May I be willing to modify my demands and my lifestyle so that I don’t encroach on the fragile habitats of his kingdom. May I respect all that he has made today, even the buzzing and biting flies, the swift spiders, and the long-tailed rodents.

And the badgers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment