Popular Posts

Thursday 13 July 2023

Faith over Fear

 

My blackcurrant bush is as tough as nails. It was here when we bought the house, in 1980. I rarely feed it. I have been known to harvest it by pruning all the branches bearing fruit, which horrified my neighbour, a better gardener than me, and made him declare it was finished. But no, it wasn’t finished.

I notice that again this year, though the plum tree has only a couple of plums, the rhubarb is spindly, and the cherry trees are pretty barren, the blackcurrant bush is loaded and the fruit is dark.

What makes it so impervious to adverse weather, and inadequate nurture? No idea, but I do wish it were the same for some of the other stuff in the garden.

Still, it is amazing the way bushes lie dormant and then, when the time is right, they produce flowers and fruit.

Do not be afraid, Jesus said, time after time, echoing Biblical directives which had been pronounced through the years. Do not be afraid. Look what the Father does in nature. Look at the way he feeds the birds. Look around. He loves you. Take time to look around, take it in, and believe it. Blossom. Produce fruit. Be still.

Faith over fear.

Easier said than done sometimes, in some situations. Today I pray for all those gripped by fear and anxiety: may the peace of Christ be a balm to your soul today, allaying fear, raising hope, bringing joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment