Popular Posts

Thursday 6 July 2023

I know the plans

 

Celebrating local notables. I had half an hour to spend between appointments, so I dipped into the local library, and discovered the museum downstairs.

I loved the exhibits celebrating local musical legends, Scots fiddler and composer Scott Skinner and others from the area, like Paul Anderson, who continue the creative tradition. I enjoyed the natural history display of local wildlife. A focus on ancient archaeology of the area revealed a variety of anthropological treasures found at Drum Castle, where I worked for awhile. And then there were some local sporting successes, including Ben Kilner, international snowboarder, a friend of ours and a great human being. I finished with a board of other locals who had helped shape history, including a woman (whose name I’ve forgotten already, boo) who was a key person in the suffragette movement of last century.

The subjects didn’t go all the way back to St Ternan, who brought the gospel to this area, perhaps because his legacy is living in the faith of the many Christians living here, and can’t be confined to a display cabinet or board.

What a wonderful way to spend a half hour, learning more about this beautiful section of the world.

I know the plans I have for you, the Lord says, plans for good. God has an idea of what each of us can achieve, who each of us can be, in this creation he has given us to live in.

May I be all that I can be today, whether or not I am ever mentioned on a museum display!

No comments:

Post a Comment