Popular Posts

Thursday 20 January 2022

God's Creatures

 

I sit in the prayer window, looking west over the fields to the Hill of Fare beyond. The flock of white woolly sheep grazes into view. Listening to a Bible app, I watch the sheep, surprised at how fast their little teeth and mouths move to gather enough grass to satisfy. I wonder if it tastes good as they periodically raise their heads and chew it up.

I’ve moved to the room I use for writing now, looking east over that same wrap-around field. Here comes the flock of sheep, back into view, having eaten their way round the back of the house. I wonder about the sheep. What were their lives like before we domesticated them?

My Mother’s pet sheep, Queenie, used to follow her into the judging rings at county fairs. Her wool fills a quilt used by one of my cousins who lives near the Canadian border. Mom at 97 still fiercely disputes with anyone who says that sheep are stupid.

God made all the creatures that move along the ground…And God saw that it was good.

May my eyes be wide open to the amazing diversity and beauty of this wonderful world God has given us to steward, and may my words and actions reflect reverence for the Creator’s love and provision.

No comments:

Post a Comment