Popular Posts

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Fruitful or fruitless



I’ve just been tidying up the raspberry canes. The late variety which produces huge berries is now on the dinner menu for ever larger wasps. I brought in two while wasps are devouring about a dozen.

Yesterday I heard a gardening expert on the radio mention that her apple crop has not happened this year because the wet spring prevented the bees and insects from pollinating them. 

The weather has really messed up our harvest this year. First of all the insects laid low while the flowers withered on the dripping trees, and now wasps are destroying the berry crop in a way I’ve not seen before.

I’ve been thinking about effective sowing of the Kingdom. Yes, I know that sowing is different from pollination, but it just made me think that there may be people ‘out there’ who are open to receiving good news of God’s love for them, but the environment they are in is preventing anyone from getting to them. People in countries where Christians are persecuted, for instance. But then that reminds me that God doesn’t actually need to use people, though he often chooses to do so. I’ve heard of instances where muslims in China, for instance, have had visions and dreams of Jesus and realized the truth of the gospel before any Christians shared it with them. Must remember to pray more for people in that situation.

Then I think of those big beautiful red rasps which are being mauled and devoured by wasps, and I think of Christians who allow culture and lifestyle to spoil the sweetness and nourishment of the message they should be feeding to those in their friendship circle. 

I hope and pray that I can be a big red rasp for others to be nourished on today – not pesky wasps, but those who hunger and thirst for truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment