Popular Posts

Saturday 10 August 2013

Abundance Part II




So this morning Dusty was energetic and enthusiastic to walk, which was lovely. God is blessing us with yet another beautiful day. Hallelujah!

I found myself yet again picking ripe little rasps and filling a doggy bag. It does amuse me to think that the drivers of the few cars that passed us must think I’m extremely fastidious to be picking up after my dog even in the wild woods where nobody but a few of us go. But actually, this time the doggy bag is bursting with berries.

Pulled a few redcurrants off a neighbour’s bush – they are away semi-permanently and I’m afraid they are going to spoil. Someone else has given us roe deer steaks which I’m going to attempt to cook tonight, and an online recipe calls for redcurrants. God has provided through my neighbour’s bush.

More abundance. And yet I’m so aware that we are unusual in this unjust world. That there are many who, if they even have a cupboard, have one that is bare. It is heart-breaking and action-inspiring.

I’m also aware of words which Jesus told his disciples. He once said that his food was to do the will of his Father in heaven. Now that is amazing. Jesus found that obeying God was like sitting down to a banquet and enjoying a big meal, and being satisfied. 

Real nourishment is found not in food that spoils but in the Word that remains fresh forever. God invites us, ‘Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen and you will find life. ‘(Isaiah 55)

Jesus’ ears were wide open to his Father, and he listened and obeyed and thereby found life. 

God doesn’t provide bounty just along the roadsides and in the gardens of our friends; he provides a steady stream of manna from heaven, food that satisfies eternally.

No comments:

Post a Comment