Popular Posts

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Summer is on the Wane



Oh how I hate to make this observation! Summer is on its way out. It was still a glorious morning: sun beaming out of a blue and white sky, no wind, no rain. But the temperature overnight took a dip. A significant dip, I would say. 

It isn’t just the weather that heralds the approach of autumn of course. The full flush of summer growth has abated. The sweet peas are beginning to turn brown at the bottom. The raspberry canes are slowly dying back; fewer berries are ripening. Each day I bring in less than the day before.

The wild cherries – locally known as ‘geens’ – are withering on the stalk. We did climb up and gather a couple of baskets on Sunday – but what to do with them now? They are tiny, as much cherry pit as cherry, so require a lot of input for a little output. I have made jam in the past. Time-consuming chore, skimming the pits as they rise to the surface, having first scored each fruit with a sharp knife so that they could escape. I think I made a crumble once with them, but that was more dangerous in case someone unwittingly choked on a pit. Or swallowed one. Like I did the other day, just eating a single fruit. One minute the pit was in my mouth, the next it had slipped down my throat. 

It’s not all over yet. The carrots continue to grow, as do the potatoes. We hope. Above ground anyway, they look healthy. But all the signs are there. Winter is coming.

I look in the mirror and I see the same thing. Summer is on its way out. The years of high productivity are past. But they are not over yet.

The writer to the Hebrews advised, “...strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. Make level paths for your feet, so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.” 

Notice that the level paths are not to avoid tripping up yourself, but so that the lame might be healed. There are a few rocks in my road this morning. A lump of pride. A boulder of criticism. An outcropping of judgmentalism. 

I’ll just go to work on those now. While my arms aren’t too feeble, and my knees aren’t yet too weak. 
I don’t want anyone disabled because of me. I do want them healed by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment