Popular Posts

Wednesday 4 September 2013

Flooded



This morning I thought I would cut the grass. I actually quite enjoy cutting grass – it’s such a quick way of making the garden look instantly better.

But I flooded the lawn mower. I primed it by depressing the button 3 times, and it nearly went, but when it didn’t I primed it again. Overkill. It wouldn’t even fire.

So I had to leave it and let Don start it for me later. He made it look so easy.

The lawn mower won’t start if there’s no petrol in the tank. It won’t start if there’s too much petrol in the tank.

It made me think about spiritual food. My spiritual life will never grow if I’m not imbibing spiritual fuel. My physical body will continue to perform, fuelled by the food I eat, but spiritually I will remain a baby, or even begin to shrivel away spiritually. 

On the other hand, if I do nothing but read the Bible and other Christian books, studying and constantly taking in, and never go out there in my neighbourhood and in the world and live a Christian life, my spiritual self will be flooded, and never do anyone any good at all. 

I need a time every day with God to set me up for the day. But then I need to get out there, living my life in the world with those God has put me with, trusting him to use me for whatever his purpose is moment by moment.

Neither flood nor drought. Just the right amount of spiritual stimulus and truth to empower me every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment