Popular Posts

Tuesday 24 September 2013

Visible or Invisible??



The fog brought the sky in low this morning, obscuring familiar landmarks and restricting visibility to a few yards in any direction.

Dusty and I were out on the usual stretch, but she wasn’t too keen to walk. Her back leg is hurting, I can tell, and she just wanted to go home. I stood and waited while she sniffed. I looked up at the pine trees rising into the grey mist. And smiled.

While the low cloud obscured some of the usual landmarks, it revealed some hidden gems. Well, I use the word ‘gems’ very loosely, because anything associated with a spider is hard to identify as a gem. 

However, there between pine needles in the canopy above me were thousands of intricate webs, their sticky threads picked out by the moisture in the air. It was beautiful.

It reminded me that what is invisible under normal circumstances becomes visible in special cases.

There’s a story in the Bible about a prophet named Elisha. One time he and those he was with were surrounded by enemy troops. Elisha’s servant was terrified, so Elisha prayed that God would open his eyes to see what Elisha could see – that in fact, God had a protective phalanx of angels encircling Elisha and his friends.

Nobody else could see the angels. But nevertheless, they were there.

Usually I can’t see the spider webs overhead. Nevertheless, they are there.

We think we are on top of our circumstances, that we live in the real world where all that is real is visible to the naked eye.

Ha!

I pray that today your eyes and mine would be opened to see the world as God sees it.

No comments:

Post a Comment