Popular Posts

Friday 6 September 2013

Wild Winds of Autumn



The colder winds of autumn are blowing here this morning, harbinger of what’s to come, I’m afraid. Wind is one aspect of the weather which I definitely don’t like. So often, here, it carries a damp edge to it which cuts right through the layers of clothing and chills the bones. 

It’s not that severe today, thankfully, being only early September. But it is a nudge to the complacent soul who was hoping that summer would last forever. Wish I’d finished tying up the raspberry canes the other day when the sun beat warm on my face. Sigh.

When I’m in a right grumpy mood about the wind, I’ve been heard to complain that there’s no point in it. It uproots trees, brings down power cables, lifts off roofs, and even injures and kills people, in its most severe form. It can ruin whole fields of crops and slaughter the raspberry canes. 

And it messes up my hair. (That’s a joke – my hair is generally a little messed up anyway!)

But of course I know that it does do some good things. When I see birds soaring on the thermals, higher and higher, effortlessly, I know they appreciate the free ride. When I see seed balls broken and tumbling along in the wind, I understand this is one of nature’s ways of procreation. When the clouds heavy with rain hang overhead, I positively pray that a wind would come and shift them along to the next venue.

When the disciples were tossed in the tempest on the Sea of Galilee, fearing for their lives as the night wore on without respite from the storm, Jesus came to them walking on the water, unperturbed by wind or waves. He was a picture of perfect peace, unafraid despite the wild waves and strong wind. 

Peter leapt out of the boat, eager to do what he saw his friend and master doing. And he did it successfully, as long as he kept his eyes fixed on the Lord Jesus. When he lost that self-discipline, though, and allowed his attention to stray to the tossing waves and the howling gale, fear caused his faith to falter and his feet got wet as he began to sink. Of course Jesus reached out and helped him back into the boat, and the storm subsided.

If the wind is in your face today, and the waves are splashing your feet, call out to Jesus. He always hears a cry for help, and always responds. The storm doesn’t always subside immediately, but with your focus on him, you will be able to walk through it fearlessly and arrive, exhilarated, on the farther shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment