Popular Posts

Friday 4 October 2013

Today is Enough



The autumn colours are stunning at Crathes Castle just now – and the weather this morning is a breath of summer to set us up for what might come.

What might come. That’s the trouble with us human beings – we are more than able to imagine what might come, and then spoil what we have today.

Jesus advises ‘Don’t worry about tomorrow. There are enough anxieties for the day.’ Or in the old version ‘Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.’

I listened to the birds singing their hearts out, and realized that they’re not anxiously imagining the snows to come, the shortage of berries and  bugs, nor the cold north winds. They are sitting in the gloriously attired trees singing their best because – because why? I don’t really know why birds sing but I imagine (there we go again, imagining) that it’s because they are happy. 

Sometimes we are advised by wise folks to be ‘fully present in the moment’. We are all prone to living the present as if by default while we imagine or worry about the future. 

I’ve got a lot to do today. But as I do it, I’m going to put on a praise CD and sing my heart out to my Lord Jesus, because today is good: I’ve eaten, I’ve been with my loving husband and dear friends, I’ve spent time in prayer and in the Bible, and I’ve got work to do. 

And I’m going to trust my faithful Lord Jesus for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment