Popular Posts

Monday 28 October 2013

Jet Lag



In Scotland, the clocks ‘fell back’ last Saturday night. That was a blessing to me, because I arrived back here from California on Friday night, and the eight hour time difference has now shrunk to – seven.

Well, whatever. I wish it were as easy for me to readjust my inner clock as it was to change the clocks in the house. Last night I was dozing through the news at 9 so headed for bed only to zing back awake and remain that way until after 2 am. 

Today I’ve made an effort to help my body make the adjustment. I got up at 8. (Tomorrow I will get up at 7 and see how that goes!) I walked the dog, a brisk mile and a half. I dug up some potatoes. And I did a jillion other things from – yes, ironing sheets again – to making beds, making granola, doing some errands. Hopefully, tonight when I lay my head on that pillow and close my eyes, the inner lights will go out for a few hours and I shall sleep.

The Bible offers some advice on what to think about when you lie awake in your bed at night. Meditate on God. Think about how wonderful he is.

I tried that last night, but somehow I kept slipping into planning mode for my middle son’s wedding in two weeks’ time. That led me into anxious thoughts about a host of things, which only served to keep me more awake.

I hate to confess this, but the thing which finally put me to sleep was when I turned my prayers away from those I know and love to situations in the world which are terrible, but where I have no personal ties. Isn’t that awful? That when my prayers turned to things which really are of critical importance to others, my own anxiety calmed and I slept.

Jet lag. Compassion lag?

There is, of course, another perspective to take on this. God tells us again and again in the Bible not to be afraid, that faith and fear don’t go together, that perfect love doesn’t have room for fear. He also urges us to be dependent on him, and to trust in his goodness, mercy and love.

So it could be said that the labyrinth of worry in which I was lost for four hours was selfish and revealed an independent streak which still believes that by worrying I can make something better ... whereas as I lifted up to God situations which I recognise are well beyond my ability to help, God took them, and gave me his peace. And divine rest.

Jesus came to turn the world on its head. Our natural inclination is to worry, and to feel a tinge of guilt if we aren’t worrying because it hints that in fact, we don’t care. 

When actually, if we can manage not to worry about something we really do care about, if we can manage to lift it up to God and leave him to handle it, he is there to embrace us in his perfect peace as we trust in him.

Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment