Popular Posts

Friday 21 February 2014

A Precious Gift



I wonder what you would consider the most precious gift you’ve ever received? I can think of some wonderful gifts which made my life easier (washing machine and dryer – thank you Mom and Dad; dishwasher – thank you Mother-in-Law). I can think of some items of jewellery – of value indeed but more so because of the love expressed through the giving of them. 

Up there with precious gifts is the gift of time. Many wonderful people have gifted me a few hours throughout my life. Too many to name, but I haven’t forgotten my sister-in-law’s sacrificial gift of time and elbow grease in cleaning my house, more than once, when I was expecting a baby, or just expecting visitors. I haven’t forgotten the formatting of a book I wrote, the trimming of trees, the fixing of computers, the baking of cakes, and so on. So many gifts which boiled down to someone giving up that most precious commodity, time, in order to help me.

Last weekend our three sons all converged on our dining room and began the arduous task of stripping wallpaper, sanding woodwork (including doors, windows, decorative boards and even the floor – though that was done by Don), and then repainting, re-varnishing, re-wallpapering. Rome wasn’t built in a day and our dining room wasn’t done in a weekend, or even a week. 

Which is why I have been so quiet of late. We’ve been continuing the task of painting and papering. And now, as my back has given way again, one son is coming back tomorrow to finish off the walls with Don.

My heart is full of gratitude to these wonderful young men, and my equally wonderful husband. And gratitude leads me back to a verse or two from Philippians in the New Testament, where Paul has written: ‘Don’t worry about anything; instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.’

Our dining room hadn’t been decorated for over 25 years, but the task was more than we could manage. Our boys saw the need, and came alongside. God knows what we need, and he comes alongside. May you share your need with him, and enjoy his peace today.

No comments:

Post a Comment