Popular Posts

Monday 10 February 2014

Shipping and Handling



Last night I nearly made an on-line purchase. When the total price of the item came up it had nearly tripled from its original cost. Horrified, I went back and discovered that the shipping and handling charges were more than one and a half times the cost of the item, and then there was ‘tax’. I cancelled the transaction.

I’ve been thinking about the way we handle items, valuable or not. Before I was married, the only item of value which I owned was a cut crystal bud vase. When I was moving once, I was so anxious not to break that vase that I decided not to pack it but to put it beside me on the passenger seat of the van, where I would be able to see it and take good care of it.

When I reached my destination, I’d forgotten about it, and as I opened the passenger door to unload belongings, the vase had wriggled to the edge of the seat during the drive and crashed to the roadway below, smashing into smithereens. 

The Bible tells us that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. We couldn’t be carrying anything more valuable if we tried! The Holy Spirit of the creator of the Universe, living inside me. So how do I handle him? Do I take the best care I possibly can of my own body, monitoring what I eat and drink, what I wear, whether or not I am tattooed or pierced? Or do I generally treat my body in an off-hand sort of way, careless of the cargo I carry?

My attempted purchase last night was over-protected in its shipping and handling. My precious cut glass vase – though I was trying to super-protect it – was actually under-protected and destroyed. I’m not sure I really know how to carry the Holy Spirit in an appropriate way. He doesn’t need my protection, but he does warrant my honour and respect.

I hope that my words and actions today will reveal the precious cargo I carry in a way that encourages, comforts and refreshes all who I come into contact with.

No comments:

Post a Comment