Popular Posts

Monday 3 February 2014

Nip it in the Bud!




I may be running the risk of losing readers who have no interest in gardening if I keep banging on about gardening metaphors for life but ... just one more. 

I’ve been talking about God the Father being a divine, gentle gardener pruning us of negative emotions, attitudes, memories even. This morning I was thinking of the phrase ‘to nip it in the bud’ and its relevance for what God the gardener does. Sometimes there is a temptation to entertain a thought which grows into a concern which swells into a worry which overwhelms into anxiety which can oppress us into depression, and which we can’t seem to shake. 

This often dark and dreich time of the year can be an incubator for such thoughts.

I am praying this morning that any such incipient ideas in me – and in you – will be nipped in the bud by our loving Father. 

I pray that even if we haven’t the wisdom ourselves to dismiss a thought which could easily grow into a giant of an anxiety, the Lord will reach down with his divine secaturs and snip.

Spring is coming, and I’m looking forward to voluptuous blossoms and nourishing fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment