Popular Posts

Monday 11 January 2016

Thick and Thin



Today my blood is 2.4 times thinner than your blood. Which is good and the way it should be. But as I eat my way through the next six weeks until the next blood test, it will thin and thicken depending on how many avocados and mangoes, how much kale and spinach, how much red wine I consume. It is an inexact science maintaining a safe level, but for over a decade now it’s been ok so I sit down to each meal trusting that as long as I eat in moderation, it should all be ok. 

Rat poison is the best the doctors can do. It sounds pretty crass and basic, but so far, so good. I am grateful for it.

Health is an element of life which can be a hole, a stumbling place in a walk with the Lord. I am blessed in that mine is a quiet background condition, unlike the many painful and intrusive conditions which afflict people. How one feels can dominate one’s thoughts and perspectives, understandably so. Some of the reason is the intrusiveness of pain on one’s consciousness, and some is fear. 

I can only imagine the devastating agony of constant pain and so am not qualified to say anything about that. But I do know about fear. When I got the pulmonary emboli all those years ago, I found myself fearful of many things. 

I am focusing on Isaiah 40 right now, and those opening verses speak to fear. ‘Level the mountains and hills. Straighten the curves and smooth out the rough places.’ The curves speak to me of the unknown, the future, out of sight and around the corner. How to straighten them out? 

With God. There is no fear in love and God is perfect love. When I spend time with him, I know that whatever lies around any curve, as long as I go round it with him everything is always going to be ok. In God I trust. And as my faith deepens and my trust grows, the curves straighten out and the fear loses its hold on me.

May you walk through this day with courage and faith in the God who loves you truly, madly and deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment