Popular Posts

Wednesday 8 March 2017

Call to Rest



Often I hear God in the natural world or in situations. This morning, though, he has been speaking loud and clear through his word. First, Don and I read Matthew 11:28: ‘Come to me, all of you who are weary...and I will give you rest.’ We do daily readings from the Upper Room, but because we miss the odd day we are way out of synch and today’s reading was actually from the 28th of January.

Then I picked up the daily readings I follow on my own in Day by Day with God. And today’s reading was from Mark 6:31: ‘Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.’

I think I’m spotting a trend here. Been really busy recently, but pleasantly so. Yesterday was a lovely day but I was going until about 11, and congratulated myself on not feeling very tired when I finally got into bed. This morning, though, I’m kind of dragging. 

I guess the Lord knows what we need before we acknowledge it ourselves. What I really love about both of these verses is not just the invitation to rest, but the promise that Jesus is in the resting. Jesus is there, and where Jesus is, there is peace and refreshment and renewal and strength. 

Tomorrow I plan to soar on wings like eagles, to run and not grow weary, to walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40:31) Because as I put my hope in the Lord, I will renew my strength. 

Today, though, I hear a call to a Sabbath rest. Time set apart with my God, his gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment