Popular Posts

Monday 6 August 2018

Rotting Fruit


Cherry harvest is coming to an end. Not because the trees have been picked clean. I can’t get up high enough, nor do I have the energy to keep going much longer!! Friends came last night and picked a couple of boxes, and the red ones are beginning to spoil, though the black remain firm.

So what happens now? I imagine the ground will be carpeted by rotting fruit, which might call rodents and other undesirables. I may still have work to do out there, sweeping and putting into the compost heap, or we may find our cherry trees have the pulling power of the Pied Piper of Hamlin.

What is a blessing and sweet to the taste can go bad. What nourishes and delights can turn sour and sickly. God pours out his blessings and gifts on us, which he wants us to use for the good of the Kingdom. The important thing in life is that old saying, carpe diem, because what is wonderful today may be horrible tomorrow.

It’s not always easy to choose how to spend time, which gifts to use when. I had planned to do some writing today, but the forecast is that this good weather is drawing to a close, so I better take my own advice, and get out there and carpe diem. I can write in the rain, but I don’t want to deal with rotting cherries in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment