Popular Posts

Friday 3 August 2018

God is good, all the time


The profusion of summer foliage on the trees along the drive obliterates the view of Scolty. Maybe in winter, I’ll prune those lower branches on the Norwegian maple (or is it an elm?) tree so that next summer I can still see for miles, or maybe I won’t, because they do look lovely right now.

When autumn comes and the leaves change colour and then drop, the view will be restored.

When life is full, perspective can be lost. I can be so satisfied admiring the beauty of people I love, work I’m enjoying, a church where I can worship in freedom, that I don’t even miss what I am missing. It’s when things are stripped away, when good things are lost and I stumble into a challenging valley, that my perspective is broadened. As I seek the solace of our loving Father, I begin to see his trademark love in unexpected places.

Busy, productive life full of joyful reunions and happy memory-making is wonderful, but there are hidden jewels revealed only when the leaves of plenty drop. God is so good. All the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment