Popular Posts

Tuesday 20 August 2019

Clinging on


Hanging out the load of wet towels, I noticed the voluptuous growth of the honeysuckle planted there years before. Having trailed rather forlornly across the stone dyke, it finally found a tree to which it could cling, winding round and round, held securely in wind or storm by the strength of the tree trunk.

I was about to say that I feel a little like a wet towel, but that wasn’t the point of this anecdote!

When not anchored to something strong, we can wander all over the place. We are weak and easily breakable. We can be trampled and we can be nibbled at. It’s only when we cling to God that we have strength to face whatever comes at us. The honeysuckle grew quietly, nearly invisibly, until one day I noticed where it was. May my faith continue to grow without fanfare; may it grow increasingly dependent on God, incrementally, until that day when I meet Jesus face to face, and he greets me with familiarity and delight.

I can do nothing without him, but with him, I can do everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment